Thursday, April 06, 2006

Hot start for hot Texan

Josh Beckett had a spectacular debut for the Sox last night. I only got to see his last inning, the 7th, because I was at work until 10 (insert sad face here), but I read about it, and I did see his final strikeout.

The big story of the day, though: Has Keith Foulke lost his job? It sure looks like it. With a one run lead in the ninth (after a shaky eighth inning from Mike Timlin), Tito gave the ball to Jonathan Papelbon, who retired the side on only 11 pitches. Dan Shaughnessy speculates that now is as good a time as any to let the "kid gunslinger" take over the role of closer.

Papelbon has electric stuff. His fastball hit 95 on the radar, and he was much more effective than Foulke has been at any point in the past season. This is not to say that Foulke won't ever return to form...he definitely might. I just don't want to find out the hard way. Let the kid pitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home