Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Boston's unofficial holiday

The Home Opener at Fenway Park is a day that may as well be a holiday in Boston. It was so eagerly anticipated, and it definitely lives up to all the hype, every single year, no matter what. I mean, come on. The Sox are home for the summer...what could be better than that?

The only thing that's better is actually going to the home opener. Like I did today. Wow, what an amazing time. I haven't been to Fenway since the last Yankees series in October (I know, poor me, right?), but everytime I go there after a new season starts, it's like coming home every time. I miss that place so much during the winter.

So, to recap my time at the opener...my boyfriend actually didn't work today. This morning I was actually really disappointed, because he told me he wouldn't be working, hence, I had no chance in hell of getting into Fenway. Then, while I was in class, he sent me a text message saying that scalpers were asking $200/ticket. So that wasn't happening either. We decided to go for it anyway. We got lucky. Two guys happened to have extra tickets, which we bought from them (we definitely overpaid, $50 for bleacher seats, but whatever, this only happens once a year). So we headed up to the bleachers. Beckett had a rough first inning, after walking a bunch of guys. Our view of the field was pretty crappy, but the new EMC club looked hot. I'll be checking out those seats sometime in the near future.

We also had a rough two or three innings in the bleachers. The sun was beating down on us, we had to get up every .2 seconds to let somebody by with beer, and to top things off, there was a drunk jerk sitting behind us who found it necessary to launch into Abbott and Costello's whole "Who's on First" schtick. Great, it was funny about 50 years ago, it's not funny anymore. He also made some crack about having cereal in centerfield. Funny guy. We decided we'd rather stand than sit in front of this guy. We made our way over to standing room, where we happily chilled with normal Red Sox fans for the rest of the game.

PS - Fenway Franks really are the best. And it's now officially time to buy a new Sox player shirt, as I do at the beginning of every season. It's a toss-up between Papelbon, Beckett, and Crisp. Can't decide. Hmm.

All in all - I had a great day, and I'm looking forward to an awesome season at Fenway. We're 6-1!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home